Thursday, February 9, 2012

Presenting to the Class

The presentation was great. My friend Alice came over Wednesday morning and we went through what we would talk about a couple of times. We settled on a few activities and they were all well received by the kids. For example, first we talked about how people are the same and how they are different - we had the kids stand up if they were wearing pink, had hair, etc. Then we asked them to look at the two of us and tell us how we were different. Later in the presentation when we were talking about communication the kids were split into two groups - one group was given a word that they had to convey to the other group without any sounds and the other group had to guess the word - all great fun for the kids. It took a lot of pressure off me that Alice gave a big half of the presentation as she did such a great job. Donovan helped demonstrate some signs to the kids and he loved it - so proud to share about his little brother.

I went back in the afternoon to read a book about a little boy who has a friend who has Ds (My Friend Isabelle). This actually turned out to be somewhat nerve-wracking as the Vice-Principal was in the classroom for the afternoon to evaluate the teacher but it felt like she was evaluating me as I read to the kids! Then I stayed and kids took turns reading to me individually - I have gone into the classroom several times to do this while Jan's parents watch Malcolm and it is so great to see what goes on in the classroom - so much fun...

Mary Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment